Saturday, April 23, 2011

So Shall It Be Written - So Shall It Be Done

I'm sitting here as I sit here every Holy Saturday, watching The Ten Commandments.  I love it.  I can't help it- it's so campy.  Very Bible meets Days Of Our Lives.  "Oh Moses, Moses..."  "Can one so rich in beauty be so poor in pity?" "Are you a master builder or a master butcher?".

And it is of course also a sweeping epic.  Lots of grand sets and glamourous costumes (I didn't know they had bullet bras in ancient Epypt!)-classic Cecil B. DeVille. All those crowd scenes and special effects, done the old-fashioned way-no CGI in 1956! 

But I think that the real reason I watch this movie faithfully every year is that it's a little piece of continuity in life.  The Ten Commandments, like all the kiddie Christmas specials, takes me back to the time when I'd be watching it wearing pajamas with footies.  Nothing like a little nostalgia for the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment