Sunday, March 27, 2011

Jazz Fest 2011

Though the quiet little corner of Pennsylvania that I live in usually doesn't offer too much by way of excitement, we do occasionally have some fun things going on.  One of those is the yearly Jazz Fest.

 I'm actually not the world's biggest jazz fan, but I do like some of it. (I liked more of it in the early days when they were just getting started with the festival, because then they were offering most events for free in order to promote things.  :) )   I did get to one event this year; a Steely Dan tribute band called Royal Scam. They were really good!  Like the MC said, just close your eyes and you won't know the difference. They played all the great Steely Dan songs, like Peg and Rikki Don't Lose That Number.  Unfortunately, towards the end of the show the fire alarm went off.  The Abraham Lincoln Hotel, where the concert was being held, actually did have a small (quickly contained) fire in the basement.  Nobody seemed to know what was going on, so a bunch of folks (myself and friends included) decided to leave.  I was kinda glad we did, seeing that there was smoke in the parking garage when we left!  Although quite a few people did decide to stay, and the band resumed playing.  I made sure to pop over to the band's website and tell them what a great show it was, fire and all.  Hope the hoopla won't sour them on playing in Reading in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment