Saturday, March 19, 2011

Big Big Moon

Okay, they say tonight the moon is a perigee moon- that means a full moon that looks bigger and brighter than the average full moon.

I looked out the window and checked. Yup, bigger and brighter!  And beautiful as always.

Of course, the wackos ( why are there always wackos? ) are out there saying that this big moon will bring devastating tidal waves to coastal cities.  Not even remotely true.  As we've certainly seen in recent years, you don't need the moon involved to have major natural disasters...

People have always gazed up at the moon in wonder.  The enduring myth (sometimes I'm not so sure it's a myth after all!)  is that the full moon affects people's behavior.  And then there's the modern day the-moon-landings-were-all-a-hoax myth, conterbalanced by the we-went-to-the-moon-and-some-moon-humans-came-back-with-the-astronauts myth.  Although just what those moon humans were supposedly using for air up there I haven't a clue.  Just goes to show, give some folks some disjointed unconnected pieces of information, and they'll make up whatever they have to to connect the dots and create a story that makes sense to them.  I guess the human brain just isn't made to deal with coincidences.

And while I was gazing out the window at the lovely full moon, I found myself humming that "Friday" song to myself!  Maybe this giant moon really is working on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment