Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sad Furry Faces

People are mean.

A family up the street from me had two sweet little grey kitties.  They moved, and left the kitties behind.

My next door neighbor has taken pity on them and is feeding them- I'm providing them with lounge/sleeping facilities (my porches).  And every time I look out a window, I see sad little faces looking back at me, wanting to come in.

I want to let them in, of course.  Even though I've already got 3 beasties in the house, I could make room for 2 more.  I know the current feline residents would stage a protest, and I also know they'd eventually get over it. 

My problem is money.  Cat food, kitty litter, and vet visits for 5 cats is expensive.  It's bad enough with just the three- I'd have to work 80 hours a week with five.  (Note to self; buy lottery tickets.)

People are so freakin' irresponsible.  It's not like everyone is issued a pet and must take care of it- one has to choose to go out and get a pet if you want one.  So why bring a critter home that you have no intention of taking care of?  It defies logic.

And so here I am, feeling guilty that I can't right a wrong that someone else did.  At least it's nice and warm out now, and these kitties have food and shelter for the summer.  I guess I'd better find a no-kill rescue for when the cooler weather comes- I sure don't want these two getting put down at the pound.  They're both very friendly, and despite being turned out of their home, they still trust people.

2 comments:

  1. It is tough being in an ethical situation. People sometimes have to make hard choices...not news to you. You respect life, and that's what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty update- they have no permanent home yet, but now the whole neighborhood seems to be feeding them and looking to find them a home.:)

    ReplyDelete